1. If you were already a member of the 52nd Street Forum, your member profile has been moved over to our new forum here. You can log in using your original username or your forum email address, and password. If you do not remember your password, there is a link in the login form to reset your password; we cannot retrieve passwords, as they are stored encrypted. If all else fails, go to the bottom of this page and choose the Contact link to get in touch, and we'll get you sorted. Thanks for visiting, and enjoy the new forum!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Thank you for visiting It's Just Talk! To enjoy all of the features of our forum (and remove this message), please register for complete access. To prevent spam, our staff manually activates all new accounts; you will receive an email notice when your account is activated. Please enter the VIP code 6P7D5WQ4 when requested during registration. Thank you!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. We use the "responsive" layout of XenForo, which is cross-platform compatible and requires no additional apps to access our site via mobile, including smartphones and tablets.
    Dismiss Notice

The Anderson Ponty Band

Discussion in 'Contemporary Jazz and Beyond' started by Rudy, Jun 3, 2015.

1. Rudy

Rudy ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff Member

I heard about this a month or so ago, and unfortunately a bit late to get in on the Kickstarter funding. But, it sounds interesting, especially for fans of Yes and Jon Anderson, and Jean-Luc Ponty. (And it's not really a surprise musically since, IMHO, fusion jazz and prog rock are really not all that far apart on the spectrum.) Here is the most recent post from Ponty's site, dating back to February:

A BIG THANK YOU to all the fans who have contributed to our Kickstarter campaign! We now were able to launch this very exciting project I am doing with legendary singer Jon Anderson cofounder and lead vocalist of YES. We formed the ANDERSON PONTY BAND and rehearsed, recorded, filmed and played a show at the Wheeler Opera House in Aspen, Colorado on September 20. We performed some of my classic tunes, adding vocals to some of them to feature a new dimension. We also did new arrangements of classic YES and Jon material and wrote some new tunes. The band is partly composed of musicians who toured and recorded great albums with me, on keyboards Wally Minko, bass Baron Browneand drums Rayford Griffin. Then on guitar we had Jamie Dunlap who has collaborated with Jon before, however he since had some schedule conflicts and I am so pleased to announce that Jamie Glaser is joining the project as guitarist.Jamie also toured and recorded several great albums with me. Final editing and mixing is taking place in order to release a CD and DVD as soon as possible. We are planning a world tour in 2015. For more details please visit this page.​

Source: http://www.ponty.com/news/anderson-ponty-band

It is neat that some well-recognized former Ponty band members were a part of this project. I'm looking forward to it, and hopefully they'll bring the tour to our area. There are updates on the Kickstarter site but sadly, they are visible only to those who funded the project.

2. Rudy

Rudy ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff Member

Tour dates for the Anderson Ponty Band have been announced. Please check with ticket sources as this information could change at any time. The CD/DVD release is scheduled for "early Fall." It will be a live recording, from 2014.

OCTOBER

10/27 - Philadelphia - Keswick Theater
    10/29 - Red Bank, NJ - Count Basie
    10/30 - Ridgefield, CT - Ridgefield Playhouse

NOVEMBER

11/1 - Pittsurgh - Carnegie Theater
    11/3 - Chicago - Arcada Theater
    11/4 - Milwaukee - Milwaukee PAC
    11/6 - Detroit - Detroit Music Hall
    11/7 - Toronto - Danforth Music Hall
    11/10 - Washington, DC - Howard Theater
    11/11 - Long Island - Paramount Theater