1. If you were already a member of the 52nd Street Forum, your member profile has been moved over to our new forum here. You can log in using your original username or your forum email address, and password. If you do not remember your password, there is a link in the login form to reset your password; we cannot retrieve passwords, as they are stored encrypted. If all else fails, go to the bottom of this page and choose the Contact link to get in touch, and we'll get you sorted. Thanks for visiting, and enjoy the new forum!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Thank you for visiting It's Just Talk! To enjoy all of the features of our forum (and remove this message), please register for complete access. To prevent spam, our staff manually activates all new accounts; you will receive an email notice when your account is activated. Please enter the VIP code 6P7D5WQ4 when requested during registration. Thank you!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. We use the "responsive" layout of XenForo, which is cross-platform compatible and requires no additional apps to access our site via mobile, including smartphones and tablets.
    Dismiss Notice

Introduction

Discussion in 'General Jazz Discussions' started by jazzcat, Jan 19, 2015.

1. jazzcat

jazzcat New Member

Howdy.
    New to the forum. I've been looking for a forum discussing one of my favorite musical genres, and found this. A few on this board know me by the pseudonym "alpertfan". I like three different sub-genres of jazz: fusion, West Coast or "cool" and what used to be called, smooth jazz. I find it stimulating to discuss a favorite subject, and I look forward to many stimulating discussions here.

Rudy likes this.
  2. LASaxman

LASaxman Active Member

Welcome Jazzcat. This forum has been kind of languishing lately, but feel free to jump in. Perhaps you will stimulate some of us old-timers to express ourselves a little more.

The most active current discussion is regarding BFT 107. BFT stands for "blindfold test". One member will compile some of his favorite music and share it (unidentified) with the others. Then we discuss it and try to identify it. If you are old enough you may remember the Blindfold Tests done by jazz writer Leonard Feather in Downbeat Magazine back in the day.

If you are interested I'm sure it could be arranged for you to get music (12 tracks) of the current BFT.

3. Bluetrain

Bluetrain Active Member

Yes, welcome jazzcat. There aren't too many regular posters here anymore, but a couple guys know west coast cool very well and I can discuss fusion with you. (But I don't think anyone here listens to 'light jazz.').

You can try starting a thread on a general topic or a specific musician. You' ll probably get some input on it. And maybe you'll teach us a thing or two we didn't know.

4. LASaxman

LASaxman Active Member

We do have a Herb Alpert fan, though. That would be JazzBill (Bill Bernardi).

5. Dinosaur

Dinosaur Member

Welcome Jazzcat,

I'm fairly new around here myself, compared to those who have answered you so far.

Apart from Louis who lives in Rio, I'm another Southern Hemisphere man who lives in Oz, though really an expat Brit of over 40 years.

I listened to West Coast in the days of Chet Baker, Gerry Mulligan and Art Pepper. Never really got in to Fusion in the 70s and I do like Herb Alpert, as I'm a great Latin Jazz lover.

I compiled the last BFT and if it is still in my "Dropbox" I'll send a link.

As Bluetrain commented, we could do with a new blood infusion!

Cheers mate (to use the local idiom)

Dinosaur (aka Peter)

6. jazzbill

jazzbill Maitre d' Forums Staff Member

Welcome jazzcat! Are you the alpertfan from the A&M Corner? I'm Capt. Bacardi over there. Not much interest in the smooth jazz stuff here, but like Bluetrain I'm a huge fusion fan, as well as the traditional and mainstream genres. Even some avant-garde (though Cecil Taylor can still drive me up a wall at times).

Looking forward to your contributions!

Bill

7. Kurt

Kurt Active Member

Welcome, jazzcat!

I'm one of the longer-time members who's only able to drop by on occasion. I've always been a fan of west coast cool - I remember years ago when I'd visit my in-laws in the San Fernando Valley, I'd make it a point to visit Chumleys near the Burbank NBC studios, where a lot of legends hung out. My favorite night was a quintet led by Buddy Childers featuring Ray Reed; not a bad approximation, I thought at the time, of what the cats perhaps may have dug at the Haig. I think Milt Bernhardt was there that night too.

Thinking back to those days, I remember catching Don Randi's fusion group Quest at the Baked Potato (the one near the Universal Studios)

8. Rudy

Rudy ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff Member

I have been wanting to move this forum for a few years, so it is nice to have something usable for a change. :laugh: I'm not quite sure what it will evolve into, but I've also set up a "Contemporary Jazz and Beyond" section where we can stretch things out a bit. Once I iron out the rest of the technical issues here, I'll start a few assorted threads here to help kick up some interest, perhaps spotlighting a few artists we could discuss. And I know a couple of the guys from the other parts of this forum had wanted to talk about jazz as well, so they might pop in here too. One of our members, @bdiament (Barry Diament), is a well known recording/mastering engineer (some of us probably own at least a few popular recordings he he has touched over the years), and has released some audiophile recordings on his own Soundkeeper label that might be of interest.

BTW, we started this site back on Sept. 8, 1997, when I first registered the name. We'd started off the site with reviews--hundreds of them--and there's a chance that part of the site could be resurrected, now that we have a better system to organize them with.