1. If you were already a member of the 52nd Street Forum, your member profile has been moved over to our new forum here. You can log in using your original username or your forum email address, and password. If you do not remember your password, there is a link in the login form to reset your password; we cannot retrieve passwords, as they are stored encrypted. If all else fails, go to the bottom of this page and choose the Contact link to get in touch, and we'll get you sorted. Thanks for visiting, and enjoy the new forum!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Thank you for visiting It's Just Talk! To enjoy all of the features of our forum (and remove this message), please register for complete access. To prevent spam, our staff manually activates all new accounts; you will receive an email notice when your account is activated. Please enter the VIP code 6P7D5WQ4 when requested during registration. Thank you!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. We use the "responsive" layout of XenForo, which is cross-platform compatible and requires no additional apps to access our site via mobile, including smartphones and tablets.
    Dismiss Notice

Blindfold test rotation

Discussion in 'General Jazz Discussions' started by Bluetrain, Feb 14, 2005.

1. relyles

relyles Active Member

I apologize. Hectic week. We leave today and I did not have a chance to put together the BFT. It is planned. I just have not been able to sit at the computer and prepare it.

2. J. Robert Bragonier

J. Robert Bragonier Maitre d' Forums Staff Member

Not to worry, Ronald. Have a wonderful trip to the Bahamas; enjoy your family, and put all other concerns out of your mind. We'll look forward to the BFT on your return.

3. Sorry for that longtime run without participating and sending notice. I .... how to say ... missed for a while the "train" drive, so to speak. Concerning the BFTs, there were also a couple of things that made me a bit "not-stimulated" (how to say this in English?). For one side, my music listening is presently more related to classical than jazz; on other side, I really don't know what to do with the problem of my BFTs being disclosed by computer software (Peter reported that, but I am suspicious that it can happen, maybe had happenned, with others, too).
    Anyway, I can see that it began a new Ronald's BFT and I would like to try to send some impressions on it.
    Since another thing to render difficult my participation is my custom of being "trop bavard" and for that reason spending a lot of time writing a lot and needing to "translate" my thoughts to English, I will try to change my style responding the BFTs in a shortened way. If I succeed in doing so, it must not be viewed as disdain on the BFTs, moreover one of Ronald's, that always made me be in contact with some music of nowadays jazz scene.

4. J. Robert Bragonier

Please don't beat yourself up, Luis Antonio; we're just glad to have you back!

I too have been spending more time listening to classical music than to jazz lately. I just finished coordinating an eight-month course on 20th C. classical music (for the second time; I did so also in 2009), and that course definitely diverted, or diluted, my focus on jazz. I just started teaching a jazz history course on "The Women of Jazz" (the instrumentalists, not the vocalists), and this course has helped to re-focus me. I had 32 people at my first session last evening, by far the biggest attendance I've ever had for a class! Finally, after 12 years, I'm beginning to get some traction... <grin...>

I don't know what you mean by "trop bavard," but your comments do remind me of how much more effort it is for you to contribute to the BFTs (in a language not native to you) than it is for any of the rest of us. I end up appreciating your contributions all the more! Welcome back!

5. LASaxman

LASaxman Active Member

Just curious Bob, what was the proportion of women to men in your record turnout?

6. Dinosaur

Dinosaur Member

Bob,

I hope you have Kathy Stobart in your list "Women in Jazz". I remember her playing tenor with various big bands and groups in the U.K. during the 1950s. Also there is a lady in Perth, June Smith. She was in the Ivy Benson all girls band in the U.K. during WW2. She played trumpet but in her later years became a singer. Her husband Lew Smith, also plays all the saxes and flute. They were big in the local scene for years, but suspect they may have retired by now, as they are in their 80s

Regards

Dino (aka Peter)

7. J. Robert Bragonier

Twenty women and twelve men was the breakdown, David.

8. J. Robert Bragonier

Thanks for that information, Peter. I have two UK books: Jim Godbolt: "A History of Jazz in Britain, 1919-1950" (Northway Publications, London, 2005) and John Chilton: "Who's Who of British Jazz, 2nd Edition" (Continuum, London, 2004); both mention Stobart, but neither mentions Smith.

9. LASaxman

LASaxman Active Member

I just noticed that I am next up in the rotation. I am going to suggest that we call an end to the Blindfold tests. 107 BFTs (over how many years) was a pretty good run.

10. Dinosaur

Dinosaur Member

Though I've only been around for about a third of the time the BFTs have been going, I'll second that proposal David. It has been pretty obvious for the last year , that interest in them was waning. We are all getting older and time is at a premium.

Regards

Dino (aka Peter)

11. Dinosaur

Dinosaur Member

Just noticed, it is four years to the day, since I signed up!

Dino

12. J. Robert Bragonier

Happy Anniversary, Peter! Four years...in the blink of an eye...

Yes, if you stop to think about it, 107 Blindfold Tests was really quite a run. We probably ought to give ourselves a pat on the back for it!

I'm not carrying the torch for continuing the BFTs--I'm as aware of, and have contributed to, the prevailing trend as much as anybody--but I'm a little concerned that the only things that've been keeping the Street alive for the past several years are the Blindfold Tests. If they fold, that probably spells the end of the Street, as well. I can live with that, too, I guess, but I think we ought to discuss that eventuality as well...

What do you think, Bill? You and I are the closest thing to "management" that there is around here. Are we down to, "Last one out, just lock up and shut off the lights?" I wonder if Neil Rudish ("Rudy") ever drops in on us these days...

13. jazzbill

jazzbill Maitre d' Forums Staff Member

I was a late comer to the BFT's. I enjoy doing them myself but obviously I can see the interest has waned. And as Bob has noted, if the BFT's end then in all honesty it will probably clear the way for this site to end. We're having the same issue over at the A&M Corner (sort of our mother site).

Speaking for myself I think these sites have pretty much run their course. Frankly I've started to get fed up with the internet anymore. There's so much BS everywhere you go. I think the worst idea of all time was putting a comment section on most websites, whether it's a news, sports or entertainment sites. People seem to go out of their way to show how stupid they can be with some of their posts. Some even take pride in their stupidity, it seems. I'm a big Chicago Bears fan, and we had an awful season this past year so people started posting that the Bears downfall was Obama's fault. Stuff like that seems to dominate any discussions anymore. Same with Facebook, where you have to wade through a bunch of pointless garbage before finding anything of real interest. We seem to have avoided stuff like that here, but we seem to be the exception.

I know that Neil has been looking at maybe combining some sites and roll them into one, which still may happen. He's been busy with school lately so his online time is pretty limited.

Whatever happens I can gladly say that I've enjoyed 52nd St over the years. I think I came on board around '98 or so when we were doing CD reviews. I think everybody's been great over the years and it's been a fun ride. But we'll see what happens.

Bill

14. J. Robert Bragonier

Thanks for your positive words, Bill; I concur with them all. And, thanks for your perspective. I just assumed that the Street was an outlier that had outgrown its interest and usefulness; it's interesting to learn that it's a more common phenomenon than I had realized. I certainly had not generalized the malaise to the Internet as a whole and to other social networking sites...

I agree: I go weeks without going to Facebook, because I've grown fatigued by the diminishing wheat/chaff ratio, and that and Linked In are the only two I've ever bothered to sign up for. (I go to Linked In even less often...)

Let's see if any others check in with their viewpoints and, as you said, "see what happens..."

15. Hello, all

This issue is not surprising. In fact, overall interest in BFTs is lessening from time to time. Many active participants, whose contribution was essential and unique, don't take part anymore. Some were gone, as Mike and Jose. Others so to speak "retired", as Bob Bednar. And even the ones who continued began to lessening their contributions. I think on Ronald and Kurt, but probably it applies to all of us. Speaking for myself in objective terms, "sorry for being later" and even a true "walk over" happenned on recent BFTs much more than before. I could spent a lot of time (lines) considering on why. But there is always "on the other side" ... and I prefer go into it.
    So, on the other side, I was just reviving past BFTs, from number #1 on, taking advantage of that streaming music services of today that allow me to listen to music outside my own CD collection. So, I began to listen not only to past BFT tracks but the entire albums from which some were extracted. How great music is there!
    In the process, I realized that my own participation on BFTs began at ... 2005 September, with BFT #26. It was a Ken's BFT on Thelonious Monk. Almost ten years and 80 BFTs (minus a half-dozen walk overs)!! It was a journey that teached me a lot about jazz and music. But, first and foremost, being continuously in touch with people who lives miles away from me enriched me in a personal level. Besides the remarks about music. Things as, for instance, Dr. Bob telling (I'm not sure in which circumstances) the way he considered himself as a "world citizen" after a travel to Sweden as a youth (it was really Sweden?). Or the way everybody's personnel traits were stamped on every musical remark. Bobb's "corrosive" style, for instance. For sure I made friends here. Even had the pleasure to welcome Pete Cherches here, in Rio, in a rainy Sunday. Be welcome everyone who wants to visit this part of the world.
    This is sounding as a farewell from BFTs. I second the "let us see what happens". But ... there's always another side, and the other side is -- since I was schedulled for BFT #109 I have an entire compilation ready to go. In fact, due to that issue about mp3 tracks being revealed by Windows softwares, I was planning to take advantage of the new two-months delay format in order to air mail the physical CDs in the old stile way (I believe about a month to arrive at USA or Australia), pretending to prevent that problem. I can stay with that plan (costs are nothing, it would be a pleasure) or instead simply assemble an mp3 file archive and upload it to somebody interested in, even without being commited to any "full commentary". Or simply burn a CD as a "recuerdo" to myself. Let us see what you think about it. Feel free.

16. J. Robert Bragonier

That was a beautiful and articulate post, Luis Antonio; thank you for it.

You're right: There is that "other side to it." I suspect we all feel like we have been enriched, educated and fed by our participation here, and not just musically; I could enumerate for each person here a long "gratitude list," thanking each of you for the gifts of your consideration, friendship, and thoughtfulness. Your comment that was most true, memorable and relevant for me related to "the way everybody's personnel traits were stamped on every musical remark." (And, yes, it was Sweden that I visited as an Exchange Student in 1954; I celebrated my 17th birthday with my host family there... I'm impressed that you remembered!)

I for one would treasure another of your BFTs, and if you already have it chosen (assuming that David doesn't want to do the next one), I would love it if you would "lay it on us as a parting gift," with no expectations that anyone would be required to submit a "full commentary." But, let's wait awhile longer to "see what happens..."

17. LASaxman

LASaxman Active Member

I second those thoughts. I would just as soon skip my turn as I don't have anything prepared, not even a mental list of possible selections.

18. Bluetrain

Bluetrain Active Member

I just came out to the site to see why I hadn't been sent a link for the next BFT. Of course I wasn't surprised to see this conversation going on. Since I haven't contributed a BFT in 3 YEARS! now (God, I hate slackers like me), its totally up to those who do the heavy lifting of putting them together to decide what to.

But if Luis Antonio wants to put out another of his always excellent efforts, I'm all ears. And I'll keep listening and putting in my worldly opinions :wink: as long as a couple others want to respond. I find readying others' comments on the BFTs one of my favorite parts of the game.

And, who knows, maybe my guilt over my lethargy will force me to contribute one in 2015. It's a new year, who knows what miracles might happen?

19. jazzbill

jazzbill Maitre d' Forums Staff Member

Add me to the list as well Luis! I'd love to hear what you put together!

Bill