1. If you were already a member of the 52nd Street Forum, your member profile has been moved over to our new forum here. You can log in using your original username or your forum email address, and password. If you do not remember your password, there is a link in the login form to reset your password; we cannot retrieve passwords, as they are stored encrypted. If all else fails, go to the bottom of this page and choose the Contact link to get in touch, and we'll get you sorted. Thanks for visiting, and enjoy the new forum!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Thank you for visiting It's Just Talk! To enjoy all of the features of our forum (and remove this message), please register for complete access. To prevent spam, our staff manually activates all new accounts; you will receive an email notice when your account is activated. Please enter the VIP code 6P7D5WQ4 when requested during registration. Thank you!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. We use the "responsive" layout of XenForo, which is cross-platform compatible and requires no additional apps to access our site via mobile, including smartphones and tablets.
    Dismiss Notice

Blindfold test rotation

Discussion in 'General Jazz Discussions' started by Bluetrain, Feb 14, 2005.

1. Kurt

Kurt Active Member

Looks like Peter is next -no. 100! - and I follow.

2. relyles

relyles Active Member

Am I being skipped? I have not had time to put something together yet, but I can probably get someting ready in the next week.

3. Dinosaur

Dinosaur Member

I was not expecting to go next, though I must admit the time frame should mean that I am ready. Sadly I am not, but if necessary I can cobble together 12 or so tracks in the next few days to make an unusual BFT.

Peter

4. jazzbill

jazzbill Maitre d' Forums Staff Member

Ronald is next on the list, then Peter.

June 2013: Blindfold Test #99: Ronald Lyles
    July 2013: Blindfold Test #100: Peter Brown
    August 2013: Blindfold Test #101: Kurt Anderson (with Ronald's help?)

Bill

5. relyles

relyles Active Member

Okay. I will put something together.

6. relyles

relyles Active Member

Maybe now is a good time to reevaluate the BFT? Ken and Peter have now dropped out. Our dear friend Luis has been unable to participate in the last few BFTs.

Can we confirm who is still committed?

7. Kurt

Kurt Active Member

I'm happy to keep going, Ron. But we could do worse than going out on Peter's superb disc # 100. If that's the end, it's a capstone to a pastime well and rewardingly spent.

8. Though I was unable to participate in the BFTs #98 and #99, I am OK to continue. Let us see how it goes on.

9. J. Robert Bragonier

J. Robert Bragonier Maitre d' Forums Staff Member

I'm game to continue. But I certainly agree with Ronald that now is a good time to reevaluate and see who is interested in continuing. Let's everyone check in on this question and see where we stand... OK?

BTW, Kurt is already scheduled for BFT #101, if we agree to continue. Also, I'll get the next six months or so scheduled, after the re-evaluation is complete.

10. Kurt

Kurt Active Member

It's my turn for # 101? It's been a couple of years since I put a BFT together. Ron, do you mind if I send you a cassette tape that you can burn to a CD and distribute? Many thanks in advance if you can do so.

11. jazzbill

jazzbill Maitre d' Forums Staff Member

I'd like to continue as well. I enjoy doing these, although lately I've been swamped with both work and getting my house ready to sell, so I'm a little tardy getting answers together. But I say we keep on rolling!

Bill

12. Kurt

Kurt Active Member

Well, my tape recorder (which is older than my first born) just broke. I can play back (on one channel), but can't record.

I recorded seven tracks before the end came. They sound fine - in fact the first and last tracks frame the "mini" disc quite nicely. But it's all there is.

If Ron wants to, I can send him the seven tracks and he can add a few of his own. Otherwise, I'm pleased to pass the baton on . . .

13. J. Robert Bragonier

I for one am OK either way. We could either have a mini BFT (of seven tracks), or Ronald could add 5-7 tracks, if he wanted to, for a standard-sized BFT. I'd say, go ahead with whatever you two are comfortable with...

Sorry for the technical glitch, Kurt...

14. relyles

relyles Active Member

Kurt - you can send me the cassette.

15. LASaxman

LASaxman Active Member

A seven track BFT would be fine with me. :)

Looks like I am probably getting #102. I am willing to continue for awhile longer, although I sense a definite decline in enthusiasm.

16. Kurt

Kurt Active Member

Ron, thanks as always. I'll mail you the tape on Monday.

17. J. Robert Bragonier

Well, it looks like we can develop a tentative plan for the next year:

August 2013: Blindfold Test #101: Kurt Anderson
    September 2013: Blindfold Test #102: David Leech
    October 2013: Blindfold Test #103: Luis Antonio Palmeira
    November 2013: Blindfold Test #104: Bob Bragonier
    December 2013: Blindfold Test #105: Bill Bernardi
    January 2014: Blindfold Test #106: Ronald Lyles
    February 2014: Blindfold Test #107: Kurt Anderson
    March 2014: Blindfold Test #108: David Leech
    April 2014: Blindfold Test #109: Luis Antonio Palmeira
    May 2014: Blindfold Test #110: Bob Bragonier
    June 2014: Blindfold Test #111: Bill Bernardi
    July 2014: Blindfold Test #112: Ronald Lyles
    August 2014: Blindfold Test #113: Kurt Anderson

Please let me know if you have problems with this template; we obviously can work around them, if we know what they are. Thanks, guys!

18. relyles

relyles Active Member

Just an update to let you know that I am having some technical difficulties with my little used CDR recorder that I use to transfer cassettes to the digital world. Hope to get it figured out shortly.

19. LASaxman

LASaxman Active Member

Peter (Dino) was wondering about the BFT rotation, which got me to thinking I hadn't looked at it for quite some time.

So, it looks like Ronald is up next, followed by Kurt, which brings us to the end of the published schedule.

20. Kurt

Kurt Active Member

My cassette player has gone to its eternal reward, and I have no plans to replace it. I will therefore be unable to continue to participate in the blindfold test rotation. If folks want to continue to send me discs, I will try my best to continue as a "guesser".

My apologies to all regarding my lack of visibility these days around these parts. These days, I've been spending my too-scarce listening time exploring ragtime, especially some of the more recent ragtime composers like Tom Shea and David Thomas Roberts.

21. J. Robert Bragonier

Thanks, guys, for keeping us on task here. As you see, we have slipped considerably off our former plan, but that's OK. We just make a new plan.

Our rotation seems to have settled into a two-month pattern, so the following would seem to be a blueprint for the next year:

August 2014: Blindfold Test #106: Ronald Lyles
    October 2014: Blindfold Test #107: Peter Brown
    December 2014: Blindfold Test #108: David Leech
    February 2015: Blindfold Test #109: Luis Antonio Palmeira
    April 2015: Blindfold Test #110: Bob Bragonier
    June 2015: Blindfold Test #111: Bill Bernardi

How does that look to everyone?

We haven't heard anything from Luis Antonio in a long time. I've assumed that he would jump back in when life settled back into the groove for him, but I'm beginning to worry. Does anyone have any information about him?

Luis Antonio, if you can "hear" me, will you please check in? Thanks in advance!

22. relyles

relyles Active Member

See this for the first time right now. Did not know I was up next. I realize I have been MIA the past few months. I have been carrying Bill's disc in my bag with me everyday, but have not even opened the envelope yet. :-( I even still have Luis BFT #103 on the flash drive I bring to work every day with the intent to get to it eventually. I can't really provide a good reason why I have not been as active recently - my world is just as hectic as ever.

In light of my poor participation recently is it even fair of me to stay in the rotation. I am not sure what kind of time I would have to prepare a compilation, but if you guys want me to I can see what I can do.

Let me know.

23. J. Robert Bragonier

Speaking for myself, Ronald, I'd say I'd be happy for you to work it in to your schedule as best you can. I always value your input; many are the current musicians whom I've first encountered through music on one of your BFTs. And, there's no doubt that you have contributed to the enlargement of my "ears" and the broadening of my jazz comprehension, especially in the appreciation of melody and rhythm and the diminution of harmonic emphasis. I would sorely miss your contributions.

The BFTs have assumed a lower priority, I think, for all of us in the recent past, but that's OK; it is what it is, and a lower priority contribution to our lives is still a contribution. At least, that's the way I see it...

24. LASaxman

LASaxman Active Member

Ronald, I vote with Dr. Bob. I would be happy to have you continue to participate in the BFT. And I would add that there is no hurry. We can wait for you.

25. relyles

relyles Active Member

Okay. Thanks. I will work to get something together before I leave for a cruise to the Bahamas with my family on 8/17.