1. If you were already a member of the 52nd Street Forum, your member profile has been moved over to our new forum here. You can log in using your original username or your forum email address, and password. If you do not remember your password, there is a link in the login form to reset your password; we cannot retrieve passwords, as they are stored encrypted. If all else fails, go to the bottom of this page and choose the Contact link to get in touch, and we'll get you sorted. Thanks for visiting, and enjoy the new forum!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Thank you for visiting It's Just Talk! To enjoy all of the features of our forum (and remove this message), please register for complete access. To prevent spam, our staff manually activates all new accounts; you will receive an email notice when your account is activated. Please enter the VIP code 6P7D5WQ4 when requested during registration. Thank you!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. We use the "responsive" layout of XenForo, which is cross-platform compatible and requires no additional apps to access our site via mobile, including smartphones and tablets.
    Dismiss Notice

Blindfold test rotation

Discussion in 'General Jazz Discussions' started by Bluetrain, Feb 14, 2005.

1. I suppose that the BFTs have a monthly basis. Haven't them? The opinion I expressed concerning to that matter was precisely taking this in account and considering that excessive delays are turning the whole thing uninteresting. Of course, nobody will be taken in charge for delaying. Since some delays always happen, the consequence is that we never have 12 BFTs per year. This is our collective pace. No crime. But "officializing" the delays is another thing. Sometimes I think that to some of us (and I'm sure this is not Ken's instance) the desirable would be to have shorter compilations with least tracks and more time to respond. Indeed, there were opinions in this direction in a past thread on this subject, suggesting a bi-monthly basis, maximum of ten tracks and one hour, things like that.

I think that 30 days is enough time to everybody willing to participate to post his impressions about any given compilation. Shorter or longer impressions, about all tracks or only a few, whatever. As Bob said, "do as much as you feel like". Is someone facing hectic times? Skip one month and return next. Even more, have someone disliked a given BFT to the point to have no interest in responding it? Don't do it (though a thing to take in account is that if everybody only takes the boss position the game will be over; responders are so important than proposers). There's no crime. But ... the better way to proceed with this thing going, in my opinion, is to keep some rhythm, not the contrary. Because excessive delays also "encourage some guys to quit the game".

Sometimes I feel like taking part on these threads is regarded as an embarassing obligation. It should not supposed to be so to a little bunch of jazz lovers, right?

2. Bluetrain

Bluetrain Active Member

To my mind, they did a long time ago... we've gotten away from that,mostly not in releasing new BFTS later (the downloads actually gave listeners more time to respond by delivering the test quicker), but by waiting longer and longer for 'late' posters' answers. Since we're not waiting anymore, I don't see how we're not going to increase the pace of BFTs unless everyone tries to moderate.

As I said, my purpose in proposing a reveal date was not to quicken the pace of the BFT playing. If we are back to a "monthly basis" I regret making the suggestion. I was trying to suggest something that was fair to the guys who posted early and had to wait a long,indeterminate time for answers while also trying to be fair to the increasing number of guys who can't respond in 4 weeks. It was probably silly of me to to suggest that the guys who are eager to play and post early find some middle ground with guys who are signaling by posting late, rushed answers that 4 weeks is too short a time. It may be that I'm guessing wrongly that the BFT group is increasingly being split wider.

I agree with your sentiments that any listener is not obliged to anything. Perhaps the best way is not to compromise at all and let everyone vote with their feet. By all means, push the idea of 80 minute BFTs 12 times a year and we'll see how it goes.

3. Bluetrain

Bluetrain Active Member

I double checked myself to be sure I had it right. I went back exactly 3 years to 4/09. Luis Antonio was then hosting BFT #62. Since we're on BFT #90 now, that means we've played 28 BFTs in the past 36 months. 28 BFTs divided by 3 years = 9.3 BFTs per years (far from "monthly"). Or with 156 weeks in 3 years it means the pace is 5.57 weeks per BFT. So when he says:

it just isn't true at all that my suggestion changes the "rhythm." Rather, with burners waiting 1 to 2 weeks after the four weeks given to post the answers, my suggestion is keeping the rhythm of the past 3 years. There wouldn't be any more "excessive delays" than already exist.

If having the so called "officialized delay" is confusing anyone, we can just say "time to answer is 5 weeks instead of 4 weeks." Then the next burner can release the BFT as soon as the BFT answers are posted; no supposed breaking of "the rhythm." Then we'll be doing 10 a year (and if a burner or 2 is delayed a little more in getting out the next one, we're back closer to 9 where we've been the past 3 years).

I don't care how fast we go. My personal plan is to listen to all 80 minutes of about 9 a year and comment on about 50% of each. If the pace increases to 11 or 12 BFTs a year, I'll just pick a few a year to skip altogether.

But I don't hear anyone else suggesting that we get back on a "monthly basis." So I wanted to point out that it is just erroneous thinking when it is said that what I was suggesting was leading to "excessive delays" that would "encourage some guys to quit the game." That couldn't be further from the truth. It would be just the same as it has been for the past 3 years.

4. J. Robert Bragonier

J. Robert Bragonier Maitre d' Forums Staff Member

updated Blindfold Test Rotation

With Kurt opting out for the time being, we'll need a new schedule for the Blindfold Test Rotation, especially since he was scheduled to do the next one. Here's a new draft for your perusal and approval:
    June 2012: Blindfold Test #92: Bill Bernardi
    July 2012: Blindfold Test #93: Ronald Lyles
    August 2012: Blindfold Test #94: Peter Brown
    September 2012: Blindfold Test #95: David Leech
    October 2012: Blindfold Test #96: Luis Antonio Palmeira
    November 2012: Blindfold Test #97: Bob Bragonier
    December 2012: Blindfold Test #98: Pete Cherches
    January 2013: Blindfold Test #99: Bill Bernardi
    February 2013: Blindfold Test #100: Ronald Lyles

How does that work for you all, especially you, Bill? For sure, we'll cut you all the slack you need, since you've had so little prior notice of this recent change...

5. Mr. P.C.

Mr. P.C. Active Member

I'm on the fence about continuing. December probably isn't good for me, as I'll be traveling in Brazil and Argentina late-November to early-December.

6. J. Robert Bragonier

By then, we may well have slipped a month or more, Pete. Or, I'm sure one of the rest of us will be glad to trade with you so that your BFT falls at a time that is more convenient...

7. jazzbill

jazzbill Maitre d' Forums Staff Member

I guess I'd better start thinking about my BFT. I'll probably have it ready to go in a week or so.

Bill

8. J. Robert Bragonier

Super, Bill. I'm glad your schedule allows you to do a BFT at this time on short notice!

9. J. Robert Bragonier

With Pete and Kurt out of the rotation indefinitely, that leaves us with this updated schedule (with extra allowance for Bill, since he had short notice this month):

July 2012: Blindfold Test #92: Bill Bernardi
    August 2012: Blindfold Test #93: Ronald Lyles
    September 2012: Blindfold Test #94: Peter Brown
    October 2012: Blindfold Test #95: David Leech
    November 2012: Blindfold Test #96: Luis Antonio Palmeira
    December 2012: Blindfold Test #97: Bob Bragonier
    January 2013: Blindfold Test #98: Bill Bernardi
    February 2013: Blindfold Test #99: Ronald Lyles
    March 2013: Blindfold Test #100: Peter Brown

Please let me know if you have any problems with this.

10. relyles

relyles Active Member

Everyone - I know I am next up. I am experienceing a bit of "compiler's block". Perhaps it is a result of the general music overload/apathy I have been feeling recently. Although I am constantly playing music, I don't seem to be really "hearing" anything these days. Anyway, I have a few tracks and hope to be able to finish putting something together by the end of this week before I go away on a cruise with the family to Bermuda.

11. Bluetrain

Bluetrain Active Member

I'll add to this that as of 9/1 I'm taking a 3 month BFT vacation for school. I'll be back mid-December to rejoin the festivities. I take it that Ronald will have his BFT ready before late August, so I'll probably get to play this one before the school bell rings.

12. J. Robert Bragonier

Have a super family time, Ronald! How great that you can take your family with you on your Bermuda cruise...!

Son-in-law Ian Walsh (originally from Dublin) has been the partner/point man for BCG in their pro bono work for the London Olympics, so as a result, he has had a pass to everything and access to almost unlimited tickets. Therefore, he, daughter Beth and her LA niece (and our granddaughter) Lucy (age 13, who has been visiting them) have been in the venue for all the big moments you've been watching on TV (swimming, gymnastics, volleyball, etc.).

Saturday evening, Lucy helped Beth bring their two little girls to visit us here in LA; Ian will follow after the Olympics are over. The London family leaves on 8/18; I go in for surgery on 8/20. So, we're enjoying some wonderful family time, as well!

I've never heard anyone describe "music overload/apathy"--playing music but not really "hearing it"--before, but I certainly know what you mean! I've experienced it (and felt vaguely guilty about it, especially back when I was reviewing a lot of music), but I've never really identified it or put a name to it. Thanks for giving me a name, and the distance necessary, to explore these feelings a little further...!

13. relyles

relyles Active Member

Hello Everyone - for a number of reasons I am going to take a break from participation in the blindfold test until further notice.

14. "Taking a break from participation" relates to both making out BFTs and responding to other's?
    I am confused on who is participating and in what level. Last BFT had only six repliers (Bobb, David, Kurt, Bob Bragonier, Ronald and me) and, since both Ron and Dino dropped out, we would be reduced to five, with only three assembling new BFTs. Is that right?
    As far as I understood, Kurt, for one, dropped out only respecting to making BFTs, yet remains participating as replier on other's, what is in my view the basic participation. What about Ken? As far as I understood, he remains as eventual repliers if having time. (By the way, I think that uploading the compilations favours eventual participations).
    In short, what's the rotations present state?

15. Kurt

Kurt Active Member

I'm happy to continuing participating, but I am not in a position to make new tests. (Thanks so much, Ron, for helping me to do so over the years.)

I hope the BFT tradition can continue, or else some other catalyst can be found to spur participation by the regulars. I started a thread to encourage folks to just jaw about what they've been listening to lately. Music, that is, not hurricane updates and election results.

16. J. Robert Bragonier

Thanks for asking the question, Luis Antonio.

Kurt says he wants to continue, but he needs Ronald's (or someone's) help. Ronald is "taking a break from participation...until further notice." Do you still want to receive BFTs, Ronald, but not be obligated to comment upon them? Are you still willing to assist Kurt with his preparation?

Pete, what is your status? Prepare? Receive? Comment?

Did you decide to hang in there with us, Peter?

What about you, Lee (Philguy)? Have you considered joining us?

Ken, you are out for three months, September through November, right? Do you still want to receive BFTs, but be absolved from the responsibility of preparing or responding to them? Will you be ready to reenter game at full strength in December?

And Bill, David, Luis Antonio and I are still active both as preparers and participants, right?

So, the updated schedule for the next four months looks like this:

November 2012: Blindfold Test #95: David Leech
    December 2012: Blindfold Test #96: Luis Antonio Palmeira
    January 2013: Blindfold Test #97: Bob Bragonier
    February 2013: Blindfold Test #98: Bill Bernardi

We'll fill it in from there when we get answers to the above questions.

17. Bluetrain

Bluetrain Active Member

Bob, I expect to be able to listen and to respond to the December and probably January BFTs. beyond that I don't know because I'm not sure what is happening at school for the Spring semester. I won't know that until about early January.

But surely anyone can send me BFT links. I did download and listened to some of Dino's, and read some of the guesses, even though I didn't have time to respond myself. Likewise, i'll be listening to some of david's this month.

18. J. Robert Bragonier

Good, Ken; we'll continue to send you links, and you respond (or not) as time permits. You can let us know about the spring when the time comes...

19. relyles

relyles Active Member

Notwithstanding my previous post, if there is still strong interest among the regulars to keep this going, I will continue to participate on all levels. I think I got this whole thing started, so I can't jump ship on you guys yet.

20. J. Robert Bragonier

Great, Ronald; you're in:

March 2013: Blindfold Test #99: Ronald Lyles

21. Dinosaur

Dinosaur Member

Apologies, I had not marked this thread to be watched, so I missed some of the earlier posts.

Yes Doctor Bob, I will "hang in" at least for the next round. What I really need to know is who is not able to take the link, apart from Kurt.

I think I have said before, it is not the cost of posting from Australia to the U.S.A., its the damn red tape one has to go through at the post office. You would think the packages contained "semtex".

I will proceed on the assumption that my next turn will be April 2013 unless otherwise advised.

I must admit that David's offering #95 has done a lot to convince me to stay in.

Dino (aka Peter)

22. LASaxman

LASaxman Active Member

Peter,

When you arrive at the main forum index page there is a link in a box about halfway down the page that says: View posts since last visit (5)

That is what I always use to find new posts wherever they are.

23. Philguy

Philguy New Member

.Bob, I am sorry to have to decline participation. I h.ave lots of jazz, Bunk to Monk and Mezz to Prez, but no way to put said jazz on to a cd. Not much jazz beyond mainsream. That is about as far as my ears will extend out to draw in the sounds of jazz.

24. J. Robert Bragonier

Glad to have you sticking with us, Peter! Bob Bednar and Ken Hoffman (as school permits) will continue as non-preparing commenters. And you, Peter, assume correctly:

March 2013: Blindfold Test #99: Ronald Lyles
    April 2013: Blindfold Test #100 (HOORAY!): Peter Brown
    May 2013: Blindfold Test #101: Kurt Anderson (with Ronald's help?)

And, fair enough, Lee. We're just glad that you remain as one of the "regulars" around here.

Pete'll be off to Rio in the near future. We'll see where he is come spring...

25. jazzbill

jazzbill Maitre d' Forums Staff Member

Looks like I'm up next. I'll probably get it done by early next week.

Bill