1. If you were already a member of the 52nd Street Forum, your member profile has been moved over to our new forum here. You can log in using your original username or your forum email address, and password. If you do not remember your password, there is a link in the login form to reset your password; we cannot retrieve passwords, as they are stored encrypted. If all else fails, go to the bottom of this page and choose the Contact link to get in touch, and we'll get you sorted. Thanks for visiting, and enjoy the new forum!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Thank you for visiting It's Just Talk! To enjoy all of the features of our forum (and remove this message), please register for complete access. To prevent spam, our staff manually activates all new accounts; you will receive an email notice when your account is activated. Please enter the VIP code 6P7D5WQ4 when requested during registration. Thank you!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. We use the "responsive" layout of XenForo, which is cross-platform compatible and requires no additional apps to access our site via mobile, including smartphones and tablets.
    Dismiss Notice

Blindfold test rotation

Discussion in 'General Jazz Discussions' started by Bluetrain, Feb 14, 2005.

1. Bluetrain

Bluetrain Active Member

I'm not sure how you guys organize the blindfold test, but if you can put me in the rotation, I'll be glad to take a turn whenever it fits in.

2. Guest

Guest Guest

Bluetrain

Not relevant to this thread but...were you the guy who worked for
    New York Life circa 1980 in NYC as discussed a few months ago?

Mike

3. relyles

relyles Active Member

Since I just completed one, I believe this is the order that we established previously:

Kurt
    Mike (kiwijazz)
    Bob Bragonier
    Pete (P.C.)
    David
    Ronald

Since we have not had the pleasure of a compilation by bluetrain, I nominate him to prepare the next compilation if that is alright with Kurt and bluetrain.

4. Bluetrain

Bluetrain Active Member

Mike, yes, about 1978-1984,

OK by me if Kurt concurs. If there's an recipient address list, can someone send it to me? If there are previously agreed on guidelines or suggestions let me know.

5. Guest

Guest Guest

Ronald:
    I'm OK with the schedule. Does that mean March for me?

Mike

6. Guest

Guest Guest

Bluetrain:
    I know someone who retired from the data dept. in NYLIC and says he should know anyone who was working there at that time. His name is Lou Berk and asked me to contact you for an I.D. If you're interested,
    send me any information off-line at kiwijazz@optonline.net and I'll pass it along to him. I'll be out of town for one week and not sure if I can access remotely between Tues.-Tues.

Mike

7. relyles

relyles Active Member

Actually, if we insert Bluetrain everyone would be pushed back one month. Bluetrain would have February (half over), Kurt March and you April. I suggest Bluetrain start getting his disc ready. Assuming Kurt still needs someone (me) to transfer his compilation from cassette to CDR I sure would not mind pushing everyone back.

8. Kurt

Kurt Active Member

Ron - your suggestion is fine by me. Bluetrain - you're up next and I'll prepare the one after that (for March). (Ron - I remain technologically challenged so I will send you a cassette. The good news is my turntable is back in action so that should make for a better BFT than my last.)

Finally, I picked up the SFJAZZ Collective CD after a track was featured on last month's test. Three CDs of great playing and great arranging. Highly recommended!

9. Bluetrain

Bluetrain Active Member

Guys - I burned the discs last night. As soon as I get the address list, I can send them out.

Mike - your friend at NYLIC will only know me if he worked at the Lebanon NJ data center. His name is vaguely familar, I'm guessing he worked in the Manhatten home office. You can ask him if he knows Julius Zazlow or Lionel Johnson, long-time NYLIC friends of mine who originally worked in the city office. Lionel was an old jazz hound, grew up with Wynton Kelly. Like Bobb, he had a lot of great stories from the glory days.

My name is Ken Hoffman. Tell Lou I was an assembler programmer on the CTP system. he should know about that. If he thinks he knows me or justs wants to chat with an old NYLIC guy, he can send an email to khoff999@yahoo.com.

10. relyles

relyles Active Member

Ken, I sent you a PM with my mailing address. I will try to locate the remainder of the addresses, which are in my office and get them to you later today.

Ronald

11. relyles

relyles Active Member

Ken,

All of the addresses have been sent to you via email and pm.

Ronald

12. Bluetrain

Bluetrain Active Member

Do any of you use Nero software to burn your CDs? I still have the new BF compilation in memory in Nero and want to save the tracks to my harddrive. I would think its as easy as hitting the 'save' button on the Nero screen, but this does not work as I suspected (I thought a Windows folder pop-up would appear and let me choose my folder). Any ideas?

13. relyles

relyles Active Member

I have Nero, but it seems that even though I paid for it after I downloaded the free trial version, it never unlocked all of the options for me. I went back and forth with Nero about this but my primary problem (inability to change the write speed) was never resolved. I will try to remember to check when I go home, but it would seem that there should be an option to save a compilation. For future reference you might want to consider using Exact Audio Copy (EAC) to extract music to your hard drive. In the obsessive trading community it is the preferred method in which to extract audio from CDs. In any event, I use it to copy tracks to a folder on my hard drive and then later use Nero or Sonic to burn the tracks to CDR.

14. Bluetrain

Bluetrain Active Member

Thanks, Ron. getting the hang of this stuff is a bit tricky. My first burn a couple weeks ago was on Maxell CDs, the default speed was 52x. Not realizing how the speed affects recording, I ended up with disc that had slight distortions on punchy notes (usually in the brass insts). I next tried Sony discs (which you are all getting for the test), and they wouldn't let me burn at 52x, forcing me to 16x. This ended up sounding much better (although I do want to know if you all think the sound quality is good).

I'll get the EAC. If the last 3 weekends are any indication of how much time I'm going to spend burning, I'm going to need it.

15. relyles

relyles Active Member

16. Bluetrain

Bluetrain Active Member

Ron, got the download, I'll install tonight. No need for you to bother with nero for me. Thanks for the help.

17. LASaxman

LASaxman Active Member

Based on the earlier discussion in this thread It looks like Pete is on deck for June and I've got July. Does that seem correct to everybody?

18. J. Robert Bragonier

J. Robert Bragonier Maitre d' Forums Staff Member

How does this look?

Pete: June
    David: July
    Ron: August
    Ken: September
    Kurt: October
    Mike: November
    Bob: December

19. Guest

Guest Guest

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Pete withdraw from the Blindfold Test?

Mike

20. J. Robert Bragonier

Oh, shucks, Mike, I think you're right. Maybe that was just wishful thinking on my part, wanting him to come back...

In that case, David, you were right the first time: you're up now. I've got a problem at the end of the year, however: I'm going to be in Ecuador, Peru and the Galapagos Islands till mid-November, and I'd like to hold onto December, if I could... Maybe someone would be willing to take November out of sequence. Between Kim Richmond's jazz camp in Wisconsin and the just-finished "Neophonic Impressions" bash, I have invited a bunch of folks to drop in. Maybe one of them will be interested in joining us!

21. J. Robert Bragonier

Oops! I should have posted an amended list:

David: June
    Ron: July
    Ken: August
    Kurt: September
    Mike: October
    ? November
    Bob Bragonier: December

22. LASaxman

LASaxman Active Member

OK, this kind of caught me by surprise. I'm gearing up, but I may require a week or two to get up to speed.

23. J. Robert Bragonier

Not to worry, David; all here understand.

24. Bluetrain

Bluetrain Active Member

david, if this too sudden for you, I'd be willing to swtich my August slot with you if you want. I'm back from vacation and have some time on my hands. I could get one out by Thursday. Just let me know if you think you can swing it or you want to swap months.

25. relyles

relyles Active Member

I am probably going to need someone to take July for me. That search for the first home has been moving along and I am scheduled to close July 1. I will not have much time before, or a period after for much else besides packing, moving, unpacking, etc. Hopefully, I will be back into the swing of things some time in the fall.