1. If you were already a member of the 52nd Street Forum, your member profile has been moved over to our new forum here. You can log in using your original username or your forum email address, and password. If you do not remember your password, there is a link in the login form to reset your password; we cannot retrieve passwords, as they are stored encrypted. If all else fails, go to the bottom of this page and choose the Contact link to get in touch, and we'll get you sorted. Thanks for visiting, and enjoy the new forum!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Thank you for visiting It's Just Talk! To enjoy all of the features of our forum (and remove this message), please register for complete access. To prevent spam, our staff manually activates all new accounts; you will receive an email notice when your account is activated. Please enter the VIP code 6P7D5WQ4 when requested during registration. Thank you!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. We use the "responsive" layout of XenForo, which is cross-platform compatible and requires no additional apps to access our site via mobile, including smartphones and tablets.
    Dismiss Notice

BFT Feedback

Discussion in 'General Jazz Discussions' started by LASaxman, May 11, 2017.

1. LASaxman

LASaxman Active Member

I don't know if anybody comes around to read this, but I finally caught up to the 21st century and got a smart phone. Of course, being unreasonably prejudiced against Apple, I got a Samsung Android phone.

I mention this because I loaded it up with the last 10 Blindfold Tests (101-110) and I've been listening to them for a couple of weeks. I find that I'm enjoying them much more since I am under no pressure to write anything about them. I also bought a new (used car) about a year ago, which has a sound system with Bluetooth capability. That means I can easily listen to the music stored on my phone as I drive around, and the fidelity is really pretty good.

I hope all the old 52nd Street denizens are doing OK. Personally, I've had my ups and downs, but I'm still hanging in there.

Rudy likes this.
  2. Bluetrain

Bluetrain Active Member

Hi David, good to hear from you and that you are doing OK. I'm doing OK, too, just some internal plumbing issues that need patching up every so often. I think the official definition of senior citizen is "has more than one doctor." I have a smart phone but I don't use much of the technology its capable of. i think the salesman told me my car has bluetooth capabilities, but that's just another thing I haven't looked into. Since all of my at home music listening and watching is from youtube, my car is the only place I play my CDs. And I need 2,000 less of them than I own. If I ever get up the ambition to box them up, the city library is going to find piles of them on their doorstep one morning.

Stay well.

3. Rudy

Rudy ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff Member

A few years ago, I ripped all of my discs to a Synology server, and play them back via a network player. (Currently using an Oppo BDP-105 for that, but am looking at getting the Oppo Sonica DAC and having Modwright do their tube output stage modification to it.) Otherwise, I'll play the music back via a computer or tablet, or albums are easily copied to an SD card or USB thumb drive to play in the car. I also keep a Tidal membership going so I can play anything I don't yet have.

Yet I still play a lot of vinyl at home. :wink:

4. J. Robert Bragonier

J. Robert Bragonier Maitre d' Forums Staff Member

Hi, Guys! Rudy, please ignore the e-mail I just sent you; I found out my e-mail change was accepted, even though I couldn't remember my old one, so I'm fine.

Hey, David and Ken, here's an 80-year-old fart who's still kickin' and lovin' life! I'm in my 15th year teaching jazz history courses (16 of them now in total) and still goin' strong. We took 21 class members out to the Lighthouse in Hermosa Beach this morning for a live jazz field trip (the Mike Barone Big Band never sounded better...)

My dozen-year-old iPod Classic died a couple weeks ago, and I ended up having to get two iPod Touches, because I couldn't get the 15,000+ tracks I had on the old one (160 gigs) on just one, and neither Apple nor anyone else makes a big enough player for me to use. I put my classical music on a 64 gig Touch, and my jazz music on a 128 gig Touch. And it only cost me $550. <Holy ****!> So, now, I've got all these apps (and two cameras) that I have absolutely no need for... I knew I always hated those Apple guys!

I belonged to eMusic for several years and got quite a bit of music from them. But, since both my Touches are nearly full now, I just canceled my eMusic membership. I've really gotta quit buying music...

5. LASaxman

LASaxman Active Member

Bob,

What is your new email address? Peter Cherches was asking me how to get in touch with you. I guess I probably gave him your old address. He did a performance at Beyond Baroque in Venice last September.

BTW, I've been using my Android phone as a music player. With the added mini-SD card it has quite a bit of memory.

6. J. Robert Bragonier

J. Robert Bragonier Maitre d' Forums Staff Member

Hi, David! I appreciate that you are playing around town quite a bit; we're just not getting out for much live jazz these days; call it "feeling our age..."

I did hear from Pete, and I was hoping I could get out to hear him when he was here, but Barbara was not feeling well, and I just didn't make it. Actually, my e-mail address has not changed; it is still randb.bragonier@verizon.net.

I did solve my iPod problem, but I had to buy two iPods to do it (one has 64 gigs, the other, 128 gigs). I put my classical mp3 collection on the first, and my abbreviated jazz collection on the second. I've never put any music on my Android phone, which I have used for years...