1. If you were already a member of the 52nd Street Forum, your member profile has been moved over to our new forum here. You can log in using your original username or your forum email address, and password. If you do not remember your password, there is a link in the login form to reset your password; we cannot retrieve passwords, as they are stored encrypted. If all else fails, go to the bottom of this page and choose the Contact link to get in touch, and we'll get you sorted. Thanks for visiting, and enjoy the new forum!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Thank you for visiting It's Just Talk! To enjoy all of the features of our forum (and remove this message), please register for complete access. To prevent spam, our staff manually activates all new accounts; you will receive an email notice when your account is activated. Please enter the VIP code 6P7D5WQ4 when requested during registration. Thank you!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. We use the "responsive" layout of XenForo, which is cross-platform compatible and requires no additional apps to access our site via mobile, including smartphones and tablets.
    Dismiss Notice

BFT 107

Discussion in 'General Jazz Discussions' started by Dinosaur, Nov 11, 2014.

1. Dinosaur

Dinosaur Member

I am not rushing in before Ronald posts the answers to 106. but I have been having one hell of a job working out how to compose one on this new computer of mine and believing I have succeeded I am posting it before I forget how I managed to finally get to this point.

I don't suppose it will create too much of a test for you, though there may be a couple of musicians that are new to you. I've slipped in a waltz for Doctor Bob, a well known group with an addition, a piece of tempo lifted classical, lots of standards, so naming the piece will not present a problem. I hope you all enjoy and I am sending the link to the usual participants. If anyone wants a CD just email me your snail mail address and you will probably have the CIA come a calling. You will also get an Aussie stamp to add to your stamp collection. I hope you enjoy

Dino (aka Peter)

2. J. Robert Bragonier

J. Robert Bragonier Maitre d' Forums Staff Member

Well done, Peter! Mine is downloaded and burned onto a disc with no difficulty at all. Thanks, and thanks for the waltz!

3. Dinosaur

Dinosaur Member

Doctor Bob
    That's good to know. I tried it out on David first and he was concerned that the files were all Wma and this might cause problems for some. I tried to download a converter to MP3 that was free, but my anti virus kept blocking them all. If anyone does have a problem, all suggestions will be gratefully accepted.

Dino

4. relyles

relyles Active Member

FYI I downloaded the folder today and the files seem to be playing fine.

5. LASaxman

LASaxman Active Member

Peter, I just want to say that this Blindfold Test is like comfort food. :D

6. Dinosaur

Dinosaur Member

David, do you mean you can get fat on it? :tongue:

I will admit that it is pretty bland, but then that's me, a comfortable dinosaur :rolleyes:

7. LASaxman

LASaxman Active Member

Peter,

I mean that it is familiar, warm, tasty, and good to the senses; sweet but also just a little bit spicy. :wink:

8. LASaxman

LASaxman Active Member

I'm going to get on this right after Christmas.

9. Bluetrain

Bluetrain Active Member

Christmas, is that coming soon? I'd better get some shopping done.
    :mrgreen:

Happy holidays y'all.

Peter, I have your download and have listened to it twice. Sounds great, beginning to end. Will try to get some comments out in the next week or so.

10. jazzbill

jazzbill Maitre d' Forums Staff Member

Time to get busy on this BFT:

#1. This is "Nice Work If You Can Get It" by Bud Powell from the Inner Fires album. With Charles Mingus on bass and Roy Haynes on drums. Great way to start a BFT! *****

#2. A quartet outing with a trumpet as a lead playing some blues. Pretty nice job by the trumpeter. Very laid back groove. ***1/2

#3. Another quartet, this time with a tenor as a lead. At times the tenor sounds a bit like Stan Getz, but I don't think this is him. A light samba. Nice job by the piano player. I wonder if this is someone from Australia? Good stuff. ****

#4. Here's another easy one that I own. Wes Montgomery doing "The Joker" on his A Day In The Life album on A&M/CTi. Herbie Hancock on piano, Ron Carter on bass, Grady Tate on drums, plus a host of percussion and strings by Don Sebesky. A lot of these A&M/CTi recordings get bogged down by the strings, which was Creed Taylor's thing back then. But the guitar playing was always good. This is my second favorite song on this album ("Willow Weep For Me" is #1). ****

#5. This is "They Can't Take That Away From Me". Another quartet with a sultry tenor. This could be Stanley Turrentine or someone in that vein. Solid rhythm section. The bass could be Ron Carter again. I like this. ***1/2

#6. A quintet feature this time, with a soprano and muted trombone as lead doing a waltz. Can't really tell who anybody is. Pretty nice overall. ***

#7. Another quartet with a funky tenor on lead. Again, this may be Stanley Turrentine or even Lockjaw Davis. Has a bit of that "Work Song" feel to it. Very nice groove to it. ****

#8. A ballad with a big band. Very nice bari sax solo throughout this piece. It picks up into a nice light swing midway through the piece. Sounds a bit older, maybe late 60's - early 70's? Pretty nice. ***1/2

#9. This is "Bag's Groove" by the Modern Jazz Quartet, although this sounds different from the original recording. It's also not from the final concert. There's a tenor playing. A live recording so maybe it's somebody who's just sitting in? ***

#10. A piano trio doing a waltz. Pretty nice, laid back effort. No idea who this is. ***1/2

#11. Say, are you raiding my album collection? :wink: This is Don Ellis doing "Alone" from his Electric Bath album. This is one of the lighter features on this album. I'm a huge Don Ellis fan. Always thought he should have been a bigger artist. His unusual time signatures on some pieces were intriguing, to say the least. I remember the running joke of "how do you get Don Ellis to play in 4? Have him perform 'Take Five'!" Love this tune! ****1/2

#12. A quintet feature with a tenor and trumpet lead. The tune is familiar but I can't place it. Love the muted trumpet solo. Has a bit of that Harry "Sweets" Edison sound to it. Tenor solo is nice as well. Good performance all around. ****

Very nice BFT Dino! Enjoyed this a lot. And hey, I'm finally first on one of these things. Gonna be a good year! :mrgreen:

Bill

11. Dinosaur

Dinosaur Member

Nice one Bill, and you have scored a couple of "bullseyes". I said it would not cause too much trouble to the real afficionados.
    #3 Is an Aussie but he has played with the Jazz Messengers'
    #7 Thought most would know it if I had used the Herbie Mann version. I was tempted as I prefer his.
    #9 is really a name the tenor quiz?
    #10 is from the "Electric Bath album as you so rightly said. I lost that album when all my plastic had to go when we downsized, that track was one of the quieter ones

Happy that you enjoyed the BFT Bill.

Dino

12. LASaxman

LASaxman Active Member

I promised to get this done “after Christmasâ€. Well, the twelfth day of Christmas is now well past, so it’s time to get crackin’. As I mentioned earlier, this BFT is like comfort food. Not challenging, but familiar, tasty, nutritious, maybe even a little fattening. I’ve really enjoyed listening to it.

Track #1.Nice Work if You Can Get It (Gershwin/Gershwin) brightly played by a swinging piano trio. I don’t hear any standout stylistic clues that would lead me to ID the players. Makes a good set opener.

Track #2. A relaxed medium tempo blues played by a quartet. The trumpeter out in front is a very straight ahead player, as is the pianist, who has a penchant for block chords and some creative harmony. Very enjoyable. The track seems to be over at 7:05 but then comes a little joke from the piano and bass tacked onto the end. :D

Track #3. Another quartet, this time fronted by a tenor sax. Rhythmically I almost expected this to be “Comin’ Home Baby†but melodically it is different. Bluesy, but not really a blues. The tenor has a very familiar sound. I’m hoping his identity will come to me. First guess: Jimmy Heath.

Track #4. This has to be Wes Montgomery. One of the recordings he did featuring pop tunes of the day. Probably a CTI record, arranged by Don Sebeski. The name of this tune is escaping me for the moment, but I think it from a James Bond movie. Good but not great. This one used to get a lot of radio play back in the day (early seventies, I think).

Track #5. Another Gershwin tune, They Can’t Take That Away From Me played by a muscular tenor sax. At first I thought Gene Ammons, but I’m almost certain it is Stanley Turrentine. The organist does not sound like Jimmy Smith, so I will guess it is Shirley Scott, who was once married to Mr. T.

Track #6. Here we have a waltz for Dr. Bob. The unusual combination of soprano sax and muted trombone make up the front line. Straight ahead harmonies, but a very interesting off-center melody. The players don’t ring any stylistic bells with me, but I liked it very much. I’ll bet the sax player is probably a well-known tenor or alto player who doesn’t normally play soprano. Maybe somebody like Al Cohn.

Track #7. I heard hints of Ben Tucker's “Comin’ Home Baby†in #3, but now we have the real deal. This is undoubtedly Eddie “Lockjaw†Davis, another tenor player I would describe as “muscularâ€. What is not to like? Excellent piano solo, but I don’t know who it is.

Track #8. Our first big band piece. I features the baritone sax. Rhodes piano, does that date it? Can’t say that I recognize either the band or the bari. I think I can eliminate Mulligan and Carney. Who does that leave? Pepper Adams maybe? But, it is a nice composition and arrangement, as well as a nice solo.

Track #9. Bag’s Groove (Jackson). This has got to be Milt Jackson on vibes, maybe the whole MJQ. Kind of a low-fi live recording (can hardly hear the bass). And it is a jam session, i.e., not well organized. The tenor sounds familiar. In the beginning he sounds like someone from the Lester Young tradition. I wonder why he states the melody so many times after starting his solo? Now as he gets into his solo (around 3:40) I believe I am listening to Sonny Rollins. At 4:40 we get a quote from “Gee Baby, Ain’t I Good to You". A very low-key piano solo follows the tenor, then with a burst of energy we come back to the head for the out chorus.

Track #10. Pulsing march like chords in the pianist’s LH and a 6/8 (or maybe 9/8 ) melody played in unison by the RH and the electric bass. This sounds quite classical, could it be Bach? Around 1:30 the classical pretentions are dropped and it starts to swing. The bassist goes into a rubato tempo for his solo. Now I am uncertain if this is an electric bass or an upright? It almost sounds guitar-like at times. I will be interested in learning who this is, because I have no idea.

Track #11. A 5/4 metered piece with a Latin flavor. Large ensemble featuring a lot of flutes. A muted trumpet leads off the solos. The chord changes seem like a familiar bossa nova tune. Some ensemble work and then an open trumpet solo. Is it the same trumpeter? Good high register. Could be Arturo Sandoval.

Track #12. A familiar standard tune, the title will come to me in a minute. Piano leads off, then a tenor sax takes over the melody followed by a muted trumpet. Very nice trumpet solo to lead off. Could be Sweets. Now the sax is starting to sound like Getz. A lovely piano solo. This whole track is just beautiful. Not much of an arrangement, just the melody followed by some exquisite solos, and then the melody again. But I loved it.

Summary: I could listen to this BFT over and over again, especially that last track. Probably my least favorite was the Wes Montgomery track (#4) just because of its slick commerciality, but even so, it’s still pretty good.

13. Dinosaur

Dinosaur Member

A clue re the "waltz" #6. Composers are Ellington and Strayhorn.

Dino

14. LASaxman

LASaxman Active Member

Peter, I'm afraid that your hint did not help me on #6. :sad:

15. LASaxman

LASaxman Active Member

Now the song title for #12 has come to me. It is "If I Had You". A beautiful melody.

16. Dinosaur

Dinosaur Member

Well, that is two responses in two months. That is two out of five. I admit it has been the holiday season, but at this rate it will be Easter before all replies are in. Maybe I should not complain about the fact that local supermarkets are already selling "hot cross buns"

Pleased that you like it David. Answers to #7 & 9 spot on and 12 is almost right, it is "Sweets".

I admit Wes was a bit "cheesy", but then I could have chosen a George Benson in his "pop" period :tongue:

Dino

17. LASaxman

LASaxman Active Member

Well, if it wasn't Stan it must be Zoot.

18. Dinosaur

Dinosaur Member

#12 “If I had youâ€￾ from “Just a bit O’ bluesâ€￾ Spike Robinson (tnr) “Sweetsâ€￾ Edison (tpt) Ross Tompkins (pno) Monty Budwig (bs) Paul Humphrey (dms

David if it is any consolation, I have never heard of "Spike" Robinson. He must be one of your lot :tongue:

Dino

PS I am not going to mess about keeping those who answered in "limbo"

19. Dinosaur

Dinosaur Member

David,

I googled Spike Robinson, found that he was an ex U.S. navy bandsman, like yourself, migrated to the U.K. and lived about 5 miles from where I lived in the U.K.
    In my defence he came to live there after I had left. I have that effect on people!

Dino

20. LASaxman

LASaxman Active Member

I have heard of Spike, but I really know nothing about him. Some of his phrasings sound very "Getzian". (to coin a word)

21. Bluetrain

Bluetrain Active Member

Dino, apologies for the long delay in responding to this. I liked every track, many I loved. I know I'm going to kick my self when I see the answers, especially regarding some sax players.

1. Gershwin's Nice Work If You Can Get It played by a piano trio at breakneck speed. Sounds like an early 50's recording. The pianist has a ferocious right hand. Oscar came to mind first, but I don't think its him. But then I'm clueless. Fabulous piano playing whoever it is. Maybe my favorite on the BFT.

2. Trumpet quintet. Blues. A 1940's blues trumpter with a smoldering trumpte style with raspy tone. Very listenable. Enjoyed it.

3. A tenor quartet playing a laid back piece w/ a light Latin sound. Sounds late 60s- early 70s. Enjoyed the tenor and piano playing. Nice track.

4. A guitarist in a light, commercial mode. This sounds early 70's. Maybe one of Sebesky's doings. Its pleasant, but I'm guessing the guitarist isn't playing at his top level. I'll guess its George Benson.

5. A tenor / B3 quartet playing You Can't Take that Away from me. Really liked the tenor's tone and easy sense of swing. The B3 player was pretty good, but not all that impressive. The tenor made this worth listening to.

6. This is interesting. Its a easy floating waltz with soprano and trombone. Liked the composition/arrangment quite a bit and everyone played well. My favorite track since #1.

7. Back to the 60's with a funky, preaching tenor player. can't place him, but I liked this a lot.

8. A very sweet big band chart with a sensuous bari lead. No idea who, but I really liked it.

10. Bag's Groove" and it certainly sounds like Milt. Could be the whole MJQ, but I don't know the tenor. Milt was one classy vibes player. Very nice track.

10. Classical/jazz mix. Reminded me of Claude Bollings many years ago. Liked it all, but the bass player really caught my ear. (I thought it was an electric bass early on, then thought it was an acoustic. I'm still not sure). Anyway, another cool track.

11. I think I've now entered the stage of life where I'll soon be drooling on myself. The first three minutes of this I'm thinking "this sounds familiar." (Its probably not long before I hear McCartney sing Hey Jude and think that also sounds "familiar."). But when the unmuted trumpet solo began a few brain cells started working; its Don Ellis (an extremely unique soloist). This one is from Electric Bath. I had to look up the track name - "Alone," a Hank Levy chart. He did numerous charts for Don's band. When I was in high school me and my brass playing friends sucked up Ellis albums like Hoover vacuum cleaners. I loved Don. Got to see him live once before he passed so young. A cherished memory.

12. a very sweet small group performance of a lovely ballad. Loved it. Don't' know who it is. but its a fine closer for this interesting BFT.

22. Dinosaur

Dinosaur Member

Pleased you enjoyed it Ken. I suppose my taste is what would be called "mainstream" these days. That's three replies, probably only two more to go. I'll give it until the end on the month and then post the answers.

Dino (aka Peter)

23. Peter, sorry for tardiness

This is a good selection of mainstream (mostly) material. Trying to write down "meaningful" remarks (moreover in english) makes me sometimes to delay my posting.

Since this is a blindfold test, concerning then to identifications (of players, compositions, styles)... As soon I downloaded the compilation, more than one month ago, I promptly identified track #1, since it's from one of my favourite piano jazz trio sessions ever made - the 1947 one with Bud Powell, Curley Russell and Max Roach. This is Nice Work If You Can Get it. It is remarkable the way Max Roach play the metrics of the melody. Yet the highest honours must go to Bud Powell. For his continuous flow of ideas, for the infectious drive, etc. A marvel!!

Track #2 is a blues. When the bass entered, I though on Ray Brown.... Yet the trumpeter made me throw aside that line. I can't figure out someone who had played with Ray Brown playing that long sustained notes (2:30, 3:30) this way. Wynton Marsalis? Will be my guess. Superb player. I like the way they put some dissonant touches on the blues. Excellent track.

Track #3 brings to the fore a tenor sax player of good sound. The pianist is good also. Nor the funky theme nor the playing are dazzling, but they're good. No guess on who.

#4 Guitarist sounds as Wes Montgomery to me. I would say from 60s second half, a Wes' period I don't like too much as his early 60s. Sort of funky-acid jazz I don't dig too much. The strings don't help.

#5 - They Can't Take That Way From Me. Again, I place it in the 60s. Tenor sax and organ. I am not a big fan or organ jazz, and this one didn't win my heart (I don't believe it's Jimmie Smith). Tenor sax robust sound and the organ connection made me think on someone as Stanley Turrentine (with Shirley Scott on organ). All in all, a positive impression.

#6 - Lovely jazz waltz . Till 0:30 I thought this would be a piano jazz track, when a soprano sax enters the scene, backed by a trombone obligatto. Soprano solo is very beautiful. Can be a player who have tenor as first instrument, but for sure he is very used to soprano too. I am thinking on Lucky Thompson, with Jimmy Cleveland on trombone (by the way, also a good solo). Lovely track.

#7 A composition called Comin' Home Baby, by Ben Tucker. Lyrics by Bob Dorough. I know it because it is in a Hank Jones album that I love, Lazy Afternoon. The beginning has a samba groove, turning into straight 4/4 after the first minute. Enjoyable tenor sax solo. Standout piano comping work, very good. No guesses. Excellent track.

#8 Electric piano introduces a nice ballad stated by a classy baritone, and then a third layer of sounds is brought by a full orchestra. Nice arrangement! Is the baritone player Pepper Adams? Wonderful little coda!

#9 - Bag's Groove. This is unmistakably Bags himself. Piano is unmistakably John Lewis, what makes for the Modern Jazz Quartet. The second phrase (8 secs) is stated by a tenor sax. Again, no mistakes. Sonny Rollins. I have that album,"The Modern Jazz Quartet At Music Inn With Sonny Rollins", a 1958 recording. Thousands of times I listen to Milt Jackson playing Bag's Groove, thousands of times I will be amazed. Sonny Rollins's solo is also astonishing, keeping connection with Bag's groove two-note main motif (at 3:06, at 3:27 and so on). Each chorus is a variation in itself, approached in a spare manner. John Lewis is also spare and elegant as usual. Percy Heath and Connie Kay first class supporters. As usual. A marvel!

#10 - A J.S.Bach piece played by a piano jazz trio. Laziness to investigate what piece. Maybe tomorrow. Anyhow, this makes my guess be Jacques Loussier trio. Good track.

#11 I hear some brazilian connection in this one. The main phrase of the composition reminds me of the greater brazilian musician Moacir Santos. I loved that blend of instruments making for a reach orchestral sonority. I loved in a special way the use of low register winds by the arrangement. very nice!

#12 - If I Had You. To end a nice compilation, a nice ballad played by a standard quintet (tenor, trumpet, rhythm). Tenor begins the first head phrase, and the second is taken by a first class trumpet player, who seems to always know what are the exactly "right" measures of abandon, elegance and sensibility. I can swear he is the great Harry Sweets Edison.

24. Lady Mac from Such Sweet Thunder, Ellington's (and Strayhorn's) shakespearian suite!

25. Re track #1

I have both versions - that from 1953 within Inner Fires (with Mingus and Haynes) and that from 1947 within the Complete Blue Note and Roost Recordings box-set (1947 session is "The Roost") and went to them just now to verify. Dino's track is definetly the 1947, with Curly Russell and Max Roach.